Wilf Schmidt and The Little Photo Shop – Photographers’ Work Spaces and Studios

March 29, 2010 | Filed Under Arts, BC Photography Archive, British Columbia, British Columbia Photographic Archive, Canada, Canadian, Documentary Photography, Gallery & Workshop, Historical, History, Interview, Kamloops, Photo Studios and Work Spaces, Photographers, Photography, Portrait

Wilf Schmidt 2

I was in Kamloops this past weekend, the first time I’ve spent anytime there in at least three years.  One of the last times I was there I’d come across this gallery/store on 3rd Avenue run by photographer Wilf Schmidt and I was curious to see if  he was still there, and he was. Schmidt calls his place The Little Photo Shop and claims it’s “The World’s Smallest Photography Supply Store’. The former high school photography teacher sells prints of his own work but also stocks black and white film, Holga cameras and has a group of pinhole cameras in the back of the shop as well as other photo odds and ends. It’s a very cool space and it’s tiny which just adds to the charm. The shop is currently a little more crowded than usual as he is selling off his darkroom equipment and has the boxes stacked there. Hidden behind him is an antique safe, part of the original furnishings in the heritage building his store is located in.

Wilf Schmidt 3

Wilf  in the  ‘office’ section of his shop.

Wilf Schmidt 5

Wilf shows off a tiny camera that actually works. It originally came with rolls of film.

Wilf Schmidt 4

A few of Wilf’s photographs

Comments

13 Responses to “Wilf Schmidt and The Little Photo Shop – Photographers’ Work Spaces and Studios”

1. Randy Semenoff - Brocklehurst Middle on September 10th, 2010 4:11 pm

I need photo paper for pin hole cameras and photograms
    50 sheets of each. Do you have these types of paper?

2. Dangerous Lee on November 8th, 2010 11:15 pm

I love this little shop. Though catching it during opening hours can be tricky. Wilf processes my Holga 120 film for me, and does fine work for good prices ($6 for 12exp 120 roll) Always nice to find another person or store dedicated to film.

3. clever nettle – vintage & fashion in portland, oregon » Apartment Peek: Vancouver, BC on November 11th, 2010 5:51 pm

[...] teacher, Wilf Schmidt. If you’re ever passing through Kamloops, BC, please stop at The Little Photo Shop! Oh, and the little postcard being held by the ukelele is a drawing of the Hollywood Theater here [...]

4. i heart rachabees on April 28th, 2011 1:20 am

[...] Don Denton, photo. Please visit his blog to see some wonderful photos of Mr. Schmidt in his store. [...]

5. Michelle Trkla on May 2nd, 2011 2:14 pm

Rest in peace Wilf, your tremendous talent and wonderful personality will be missed.

6. Love of Eating on May 8th, 2011 1:12 pm

Thank you Wilf, we will miss your humorous signs and your wealth of knowledge. So glad to have known you.

7. Fiji Times on April 14th, 2015 2:13 pm

Teams are awarded points based on their number of victories (3), draws (2),
    and loses (1). The Plate Trophy – The four losing
    teams from the Cup Quarterfinals play in a Plate Semifinal playoff.
    The Eagles meet Wales in the third game of the Cup Quarterfinals Sunday.

8. Wordpress Tips on June 26th, 2015 8:07 am

Hi my family member! I want to say that this post is awesome, nice written and come with almost all significant infos.
    I would like to peer extra posts like this .

9. yehuda on August 13th, 2015 6:44 am

I have a question.I have a small camera like you are holding.Can you tell me how this thing costs.I want to sell. And I do not know how to sell And at what price

10. jadwal sepakbola 2015 on February 24th, 2016 3:01 pm

Right away I am going to do my breakfast, once
    having my breakfast coming over again to read additional news.

11. post-635 on February 27th, 2016 5:51 am

I relish, result in I discovered exactly what I was
    looking for. You’ve ended my 4 day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day.

Bye

12. Diaz vs Mcgregor Live Online on February 28th, 2016 9:00 am

There’s definately a great deal to learn about this issue.
    I love all of the points you made.

13. https://www.facebook.com/AfdhalMerawatKanser/ on April 4th, 2016 5:30 am

Superb, what a blog it is! This webpage presents useful data to
    us, keep it up.